Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Pink Will Always Be A Favorite

Pink will always be a favorite when it comes to decorating kids rooms. 

Why?  Perhaps that rebellion we all had as our mothers had to wrestle us into those pink dresses and hair bands. That subconscious moment when you realize you are doing the same with your own child.  We revolted to think that we would ride our bikes with pink tassels (not me I had a pink Huffy), and  many of us pulled the hair band out the minute we turned a corner.  Then one day, those pink little toes, pink little squishy faces and that pink little newborn body we hold for the first time redefines pink.

Our hues go up on the walls, the bedding chosen, and the glass dish that  contains  hair bows with pink accents. Our own little girls now sporting the fashions we once wore and they too rebel against what we choose to dress them in. Believe me, I know as I had similar struggles with my little girl who is now 29.  They will grow up and over the generations pink will still win out. Just walk through the department stores.

My youngest clients, little girls from around the age of four on up would always choose the pink rooms.  Mom might cringe, daddy would smile, and together they would say, "we told her she could choose".  Pink now fills the places and spaces of many little girls rooms. My little girl is all grown. I too allowed her to choose her own room.  She wanted pink.  She was the little girl I had to wrestle with on those days when I wanted her to look pristine in pink.

Here is my daughter's dream room.  As I began choosing the interiors for the Portland Street of Dreams Emily walked through my store and she chose every single design accent. She chose the fabrics, the flowers, the pillows. She even chose how the custom rag doll would be dressed.  I was not so fond of the furniture, but she loved it.  Together, at the age of six she helped in designing this room.  We then took all these elements and decorated her own room identical to this. Only she had the bunkbed.


 Portland Street of Dreams 1995
Throwback to 1995 Portland, OR "Street of Dreams"
Keep in mind that digital cameras were not even thought of when this picture was taken.  An example of some of our custom work, note the window treatment. We still offer this valance design custom to match your child's places or spaces, in prints and fabrics for both boys and girls. Over the months I will share more of some of my favorite pink rooms I did for clients. Until then, if you have a favorite pink room you want to share be sure to find us on Instagram: @skiptomyroom OR on Twitter: @skiptomyroom We'd love to share your pictures. Also follow our weekly give-aways by following these hashtags #skiptomyroomFA & #skiptomyroom

No comments:

Post a Comment